Many people have difficulty sleeping in the curved shape that you get when sleeping in a traditional hammock for extended periods. Some people event find it can leave them with a sore back. If you are a stomach or side sleeper, it can be even harder again to sleep or get comfortable. So if you like the portability of a hammock but would like to be able to sleep in it more comfortably, a lay flat hammock might be exactly what you need.
Lay flat hammocks have a different shape to regular hammocks with additional support that can give you additional stability, and a flatter bed setting for a great afternoon nap, or a top nights sleep.
Table of Contents
- Best Choice Products 2-Person Woven Cotton Rope with Spreader Bars
- Sunnydaze Quilted Fabric 2 Person Hammock with Spreader Bar
Things To Consider When Buying A Lay Flat Hammock
Lay flat hammocks come in a range of shapes and sizes with different designs to achieve the flatter sleeping surface. The combination of additional mounting points, spreader bars and poles, carefully designed stitching and hammock pads can take the curve out of the traditional hammock shape. Here’s a few points to consider:
Spreader bars: Flat hammocks with spreader bars assist by giving a larger, flatter surface sleep on. They are easier to get in and out of, and can dry quicker by having the fabric separated. The negatives of the spreader bars are an increase in size and weight which is not ideal if you are looking to take it hammock camping. Some people also have difficulty getting balanced in hammock with spreader bars but a little practice and familiarity will fix that.
Support Poles: When used in conjunction with spreader bars, can generate the large flat surface as well as adding attachment points for canopies or bug nets.
Additional compartments: For the campers among you, some lay flat hammocks come with additional storage compartments that hang down from the edges of the hammock, which is not something I’ve seen on traditional hammocks.
Additional attachment points: Lay flat hammocks can come with additional attachment points rather than spreader poles to flatten the sleep surface, however it can reduce your ability to find a suitable place to hang it.
Pack up size and weight: The use of additional attachment points, bars and poles can quickly increase the packing size and weight which may be a consideration for hiking and camping.
Weight rating – the weight rating can be especially important if you are looking for a 2 person lay flat hammock. Generally the 2 person options will range from 450 – 500 lbs, where the single person options will generally be 300lbs or less.
Reviews of the Best Lay Flat Hammocks Available to Buy
Generally lay flat hammocks have additional support through poles or structure to get the flatter bed surface with a heavier and less portable product. However we’ve reviewed a couple of hammocks to lay flat in that are also suitable for hiking without needing to hire someone to carry it for you. Here’s our picks for the best lay flat hammocks for a range of scenarios.
The Best Lay Flat Hammocks for Camping
The products we’ve chosen below are designed for outdoor use and suitable to take on a camping or hiking adventure. Ease of setup make these ideal for a camping trip.
The unique design enables the Lawson hammock some tent functionality while not sacrificing much on weight. The combination of the arch poles and spreader bars offer the flatter surface for sleeping, and attachment points for the rain fly and bug net are a handy addition making it our top pick for camping lay flat hammocks.
If you are looking for additional stability, staking the corners can give the added stability if you roll around during the night. This hammock offers comfort, stability and functionality in a single package.
- Able to suspend or use on the ground
- Lots of room – interior dimensions 90” long x 42” wide
- Suggest 6’4” max height of sleeper due to the tapered ends
- Side tie downs available to add stability through staking
- Bug Net and Rain Fly Included
- Weight: 4lb 15oz with straps
- Packing size: 22” x 6 “
If packing size and weight are a greater consideration for your camping adventure, and you can sacrifice the rain fly and bug net functionality, the Skyin lay flat hammock is a great option.
It lacks spreader bars to flatten out the side surfaces around you, however, the patented design allows your head and torso to stay slightly elevated while your legs stay flat, removing pressure on the lower back from the C shaped hammock sleeping position.
- Lightweight, compact and comfortable
- Heavy duty interlocking stitches for 500lb rating
- Design allows removed of the C shaped sleeping position
- Quick drying material
- Side sleepers can use it
- Not as flat as other options so it will not fix the problem for a stomach sleeper due to the elevated head and torso area
- There is a seam in between the foot wells, so if you are planning to use with insulation or a sleeping pad you may have to get creative to make it fit well
The Best Lay Flat Hammocks for the Backyard, Patio or Deck
Lay flat hammocks are not only useful for camping where you need a good nights sleep to be function properly the following day. A good backyard hammock can give you somewhere to relax and read a book, or take a nap. Here’s our top picks for flat hammocks for the home.
The Best 2 Person Lay Flat Hammock With Stand
These 2 person lay flat hammocks are great for the backyard if you want a quiet area to relax with your partner. With the addition of a stand, you don’t even need trees to make the most of these.
This high quality, heavy duty 2 person hammock and stand combo is the perfect addition to the backyard if you want a spacious hammock you can spend many hours in relaxing or sleeping. However, it is best suited for someone looking for a hammock to put on a balcony or undercover area unless you are happy to remove the hammock from the stand between uses.
The large bed area (75” x 55”), high weight rating (450 lbs) and heavy duty cotton and stand mean it was built to last, and you can put it anywhere without the need for hanging points. This hammock with stand offers a comfortable and sturdy backyard sleeping solution.
- High 2 person weight rating (450lbs)
- Comfortable, soft fabric, large area for the 2 person bed
- Sturdy and stable
- Solid Wood spreader bars
- UV resistant dye for the cotton bed
- Weather resistant materials for outdoor use
- Lacks a removable pad (pillow only removable) – While it has weather resistance, rope hammocks may be a better option if you plan to have the hammock exposed to the elements all the time. Alternatively you can remove the bed from the stand when not in use.
The Best 1 Person Lay Flat Hammock With Stand
If you don’t want the extra surface area or weight capacity for two people, single lay flat hammocks take up less room and are designed for 1 person at a time which can make them more comfortable for individuals.
Sunnydaze Cotton Rope Freestanding Hammock with 12 Foot Portable Steel Stand and Spreader Bar, Pad and Pillow
For a single person lay flat hammock, this sunnydaze cotton hammock is hard to go by. The pillow and pad is removable so you can place this hammock (with rope and stand) outdoors in the elements rather than undercover without worrying about deterioration.
The 275 lb weight limit is ok for the average person, and with quality cotton and steel tubing, the hammock is portable and built to last.
- Large hammock bed (76” L x 52” W)
- Wooden Spreader Bars
- Highly portable with the stand inclusion
- It can be difficult to fit initially by stretching the hammock between the 2 mounting hooks. After laying in it and stretching it out it is great for future use.
The Best 2 Person Lay Flat Hammocks Without Stands
If you got plenty of attachment points in the home or backyard, here’s some great 2 person, hammock only lay flat options. Hammock straps are a great option to give you more attachement points at the right distance to hang these properly.
If you don’t need the stand and are looking for a hammock you can leave out in the elements, this cotton rope lay flay hammock ticks the boxes. The thick cotton rope and hardwood spreader bars ensure you have a hammock that is durable with comfort in mind.
With a 450lb weight rating and the large hammock bed, it’s a great addition to the backyard but consider the loose weave if you have children using the hammock.
- Rope only bed without material or padding makes it more resistant to the elements to maintain its look. For best results, a can of outdoor scotch guard will help out
- Soft rope makes it very comfortable
- 450 lbs and large bed for 2 people
- For smaller people or kids, the loose weave and soft rope can end up with gaps in the hammock that are too large for small people
If you don’t like the look of the rope hammocks, or get frustrated with limbs disappearing through the holes, the sunnydaze 2 person hammock has you covered. If you have kids, it may stop their bums from slipping through the holes of a loosely woven rope hammock.
With a large bed space and a 450lb weight capacity, the eye pleasing colors make it a great resting space for the patio or back yard.
- Polyester hammock bed without the holes in the weave you get from a rope hammock
- The fabric dries fast from the rain
- Large bed space – 74” L x 55 “ W
- Soft and comfortable padding and pillow
- Heavy duty 450lbs weight capacity
- UV resistant dye to minimise fading
- Best to bring inside after use the hammock is not stored undercover
So What Is The Best Lay Flat Hammock For Sleeping Or Resting?
There are a range of 1 and 2 person lay flat hammocks with different designs and functionality available to solve the issue of the C shape you get from using more traditional hammocks.
For back yard use, the best 2 person lay flat hammocks are the Sorbus Heavy Duty with Stand, the Best Choice Woven Rope Hammock or the Sunnydaze Quilted Hammock depending on if you want a stand, whether it will be stored undercover and the look of hammock you like.
For a single person lay flat hammock with a stand, the Sunnydaze Cotton Rope Hammock with removable pad and pillow is the way to go.