Sure hammock stands are portable, but what if you don’t want to assemble and dissemble every time you use it?
Portable folding hammocks are a great way to enjoy the benefits of relaxing in a hammock while not needing trees, other attachment points or continuous assembly and disassembly.
The folding designs means you can set them up in minutes, and pack up into a portable carry bag for relocation or storage. The additional structure provided by the frame means some of them are designed to have flatter surfaces for stomach or side sleepers. The additional structure means they can also come with mounting points for visors, shade sails and more making them a great addition to any back yard, or outdoor area.
In this article, I’ve reviewed the best portable folding hammocks for camping, beach and backyard use including heavy duty and hammock with canopy options.
Table of Contents
- Kijaro All in One Portable Hammock with Detachable 180 Degree Canopy
- MacSports Portable Fold Up Hammock with Removable Canopy
Reviews of the Best Portable Folding Hammocks
The portable folding hammock that is right for your will depend on how you are intending to use it. We’ve found the top products that suit the intended usage across a range of scenarios. We’ve also reviewed the 7 top folding hammock chairs on the market for something smaller that still has been designed for comfort.
The Best Portable Folding Hammocks for Camping
The products we’ve chosen below are portable and durable making them a great camping hammock. There are light weight, hiking friendly options or sturdy heavy weight options if you don’t plan to carry it far. The easy setting up and taking down process make them the perfect addition to a camping trip.
- 15 lbs – Light weight solution (for a folding hammock)
- Easy set up and pack up
- 250 lb weight capacity
- Made from 210T parachute Nlyon for added strength
- Coated steel frame for additional durability in the outdoors
- Feet extensions for extra stability
- It’s attached at the ends so it doesn’t rock like a regular hammock. However some may see that as a Pro for the additional stability it offers
- While it is advertised as suited to 6”4’, that is based on feet overhang. Consider that if you are tall – especially if you plan to use it to sleep in overnight
- The bed is 76” long making it better for taller people
- 300lbs capacity which is higher than many folding hammocks
- Super sturdy construction with comfortable, bed and headrest
- 33lbs weight makes it one of the heavier options to carry around
The Best Portable Folding Hammocks for the Beach or Back Yard
These hammocks offer great utility for the outdoor relaxation with simple setup and takedown, and a range of accessories for added comfort and enjoyment.
- Lightweight 17lbs for top portability
- Meshed bed to allow airflow on the hot days
- 250lb weight capacity
- Rust resistant frame for the beach environment
- Multiple cup holders
- Easy set up
- Super comfortable
- It lacks a shade option for the long days at the beach
- Some find the initial set up difficult before the fabric stretches to fit comfortably between the hooks. Though additional hooks are included for the first few uses to make it easier, or get 2 extra S hooks for the first few uses if you think you may find it difficult.
The Best Portable Folding Hammocks With Canopies
Sometimes the sun can take the enjoyment out of laying on a hammock after you spend a couple of hours in it. The addition of a canopy means you can regulate the shade and temperature for a full day of relaxation.
- The canopy gives you sun and rain protection, and rotates 180 degrees so you can move the canopy as the sun moves
- Multiple hammock attachment points at each end gives the bed stability
- Comes with a backpack carry bag for ease of transport
- 250 lbs weight rating with durably polyester
- Weighs 30 lbs, but the backpack carry bag is a great mitigation for the size and weight
- With the additional attachment points at the ends, it doesn’t swing like a traditional hammock
- It can be a little difficult to set up until the first few uses stretches the hammock bed fabric a bit – however there are additional hooks included to accommodate
- Durable meshed fabric for airflow on the hot days
- Powder coated steel frame for durability
- Storage area below the bed
- Easy to set up and take down
- The canopy is not rotatable so will give limited sun protection as the sun gets lower on the horizon
- It Weighs 33 lbs – so is on the heavier side
- 225 lb weight limit – most have a 250 lb + limit
The Best Heavy Duty Portable Folding Hammocks
If the 250lb weight limit is just not enough, these hammocks are built tough to withstand additional load with stronger frames, fabrics, and attachment points on the hammocks to accommodate 500lb loads.
- Powder coated steel for durability
- 500lbs weight rating
- The foldable design allows for assembly in less than 60 seconds
- Super comfortable
- It’s a little more expensive than other options
- 500 lb weight rating
- Padded durable bed fabric for extra comfort
- Incredible value for money
- Multiple attachment points for stability and easy of getting in and out
- The padded fabric soaks water and takes a long time to dry – best for covered relaxation areas unless you plan to remove the bedding between uses
- Does not “sway” like a traditional hammock
- Not foldable – so it is not as portable as other heavy duty options
How to choose the right portable folding hammockThe right portable folding hammock for you will vary depending on whether you plan to use it at the beach, back yard, or a camping adventure. The main points you should consider are: Weight rating – The majority of portable folding hammocks will range from 250lbs, to a heavy duty 500lbs option if required. Some of the heavy duty options are designed to accommodate 2 people. Size of the bed deck – The folding frames on these hammocks can be quite large and designed for portability. The frame size won’t match the bed so if you are tall, it will be worthwhile to read the specifications closely to ensure the bed deck is big enough for you. Weight – The additional frame required to give the folding hammocks their strength comes with a weight penalty. Generally these folding hammocks range from 15 to 35lbs with the heavier option less desirable for hiking. Packing size – While they are designed to fold into carry bags, the dimensions can vary and they aren’t likely to be easily strapped onto someones back unless they come with a back pack. Folding hammocks can be great for camping, but there are better portable hammock options that come in a bag, if you want to hike to your camping ground and don’t require a stand. Price – Prices will vary with size and quality, however you should expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $300 USD for these hammocks. Additional attachment points – some hammocks come with multiple attachment points at one or both ends which gives a load of extra stability, and might prevent you from being on your families’ next funniest home video. They are easier to get in and out of if you are less mobile Frame – The hammock frames can be either steel or aluminium alloy. While steel would generally be considered stronger, the design has a considerable effect on the strength so don’t discount an aluminium alloy frame. Base width – The wider the base, the more stable the hammock frame will be. Weather resistance – The folding portable design means you should have to leave your hammock in the weather too often. However weather resistance and protective coatings on the material and frames could be important if you are using it in harsher environments such as the beach. Material – Some hammocks offer quick drying materials for outdoor use. Others come with padding which may be slow drying. Canopy inclusion – Some of the newer folding hammocks come with a canopy that can be either fixed or movable so you can rotate it as the sun moves in elevation. Most of the canopys are removable so you are not tied down to use it all the time. Hammocks with canopies can be great for keeping the sun or insects away to give you a more relaxing experience. Shade visor – if a canopy is a bit large and cumbersome for your liking, a shade visor can be a handy addition to to keep the sun off your head when you don’t have other shade options available. Carry bags – Portable folding hammocks should all come with carry bags, however it is worth reading the reviews to see whether people have had difficulty getting the hammock back into the bag. Some even come with back packs for ease of carriage. Cup holders and cooler bags – a great addition to add that extra bit of comfort to a relaxing afternoon or evening. Bug and Rain Nets – If you’re taking it camping and don’t want a tent as well, the bug and rain nets are offered on some folding hammocks designed for camping. Wheels versus feet – Some folding hammocks come with wheels at one end so you can easily move them around without folding them up. Great for the back yard if you want to move it to a protected area when not in use. Ease of setup – Fortunately the folding design means you should be able to set these up in about a minute so you shouldn’t find too many hammocks with difficult set up instructions.
Tips For Setting Up A Portable Folding Hammock
While these types of hammocks are generally pretty straight forward to set up, a couple of points to consider are:
Find some level ground – swinging in a hammock when there is movement in the frame is not relaxing at all. Take the time to find are area where all the feet can have positive contact and you will be greatful you spent the extra couple of minutes.
Setting up on the beach – a great tip is to use tennis balls cut in half on the stand feet. While it won’t be required if you have a bar along the base, if you have 4 smaller points of contact for the frame it will provide a great surface to set up on.
Consider shade positioning and overhead branches – While these folding hammocks are indeed portable, they are a little awkward and you don’t want to have to move them continually throughout the day.