Children’s hammocks give your little one an ideal and slightly unconventional nook to relax, play or rest in. Some parents choose to install a kid-friendly hammock in the bedroom to be a permanent fixture for a cozy bedroom nook, while many others opt to get portable child size hammocks which can be placed outdoors or lugged along when heading out camping or for a picnic.
It’s no doubt that kids love hammocks and the freedom it offers for movement, play and relaxation. They see magic in the feeling of being suspended. Most often, they may only be exposed to swings in the park, but a kids hammock allows them to get the playground feel at home, barring the queues for children waiting to get their turn on the swing. Some children’s hammocks are also designed to function as therapy swings for kids on the autistic spectrum.
You may have safety concerns and queries on how to best install a hammock for kids which we address in detail in the FAQ section of this article. Safety is every parent’s priority when it comes to their kids. As long as you opt for a well-installed good-quality children’s hammock, their safety is no concern.
Table Of Contents
- HAPPY PIE PLAY and ADVENTURE Frog Folding Hanging Pod
- X-cosrack Handmade Knitted Macrame Hanging Chair with LED Lights
Table of Contents
- HAPPY PIE PLAY and ADVENTURE Frog Folding Hanging Pod
- X-cosrack Handmade Knitted Macrame Hanging Chair with LED Lights
Things to Consider Before you Buy your Child a Kids Hammock
Given the wide variety of kid size hammocks available on the market, you might find it challenging to zero in on the best one for your little one. Here’s a quick guide to weigh in all the factors you must take into consideration before clicking ‘Add to Cart’.
Where will you be installing it?
Kids’ hammocks are basically divided into indoor and outdoor varieties based on where they are intended to be used. Indoor children’s’ hammocks can usually have a more intricate setup process and may serve to become a permanent fixture where it is installed. They can be a great addition to a bedroom or a cozy nook in the house.
On the other hand, outdoor hammocks are often light and suspended on trees or swing stands while having a great levels of portability. They often are made of a more all-weather resistant material in comparison to indoor varieties. Barring these two basic varieties is a third type that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Age of your kid
A toddler hammock is very different in design and safety features as compared to one made for an older school-going kid. Make a choice keeping in mind the safety features relevant to the age of your little one along with the weight limit permitted.
Kids hammocks can be of several different materials and this is highly dependent on where you will be installing the hammock. It is a good option to keep away from the woven varieties for kids. Good material choices for indoor use include cotton and canvas. Another popular option for those kids with sensory needs is the 2-way stretch nylon material which has a compressive and comforting effect when they lay down in it. Outdoor friendly materials for kids hammocks include 210T parachute nylon, 600D Oxford cloth and mesh.
Style of children’s hammock
When you think of a hammock, the first image that pops into your mind is the conventional type of hammock bed that is suspended on either end, rendering the user into a restful supine position. However, styles of hammocks are not limited to this – you should also consider a hammock chair/swing too which keeps the kid in an upright position.
This is an imperative factor in determining which hammock you finally get. Kids hammocks start at a budget-friendly $25 and could get as expensive as $400! Take a look at all the features, safety and hardware provided as part of the kit to arrive on a decision regarding its worth.
Most kids’ hammocks come as part of a kit with straps and carabiners for attachment. However, there are a few add-ons you may consider crucial which can be part of your requirements. For an outdoor children’s hammock, a rainfly or bug net may be important and for indoor kids’ hammocks, you may have to check if cushions or pillows are part of the package.
Reviews For Best Children’s Hammocks
Let us round up some of the best hammocks for kids available on the market today and take a closer look at their specifications, pros and cons.
Hammock Swing For Kids
The little ones (yes, we’re talking in plural here for a reason) are going to love this kids’ hanging hammock and here’s why!
This vibrant pink hanging swing for kids is a cozy pod-like teepee-shaped nest making it the ideal space to relax, play or calm down in, especially for kids with sensory needs and tendencies of hyperactivity.
With a weight limit allowance of up to 250 lbs, several kids can fit into this expansive swing at once and the cute cut-out peephole windows prevent them from feeling stuffed in there. Being fairly simple to install with a variety of options to choose from, the cotton fabric used in its fabrication is durable, guaranteeing only the best for the kids.
- Versatile for indoor and outdoor use
- Aesthetic and kid-friendly teepee-shaped design
- Great aid for kids with sensory needs and hyperactivity
- Can hold multiple kids at once, weighing up to 250 lbs
- Made of durable cotton fabric which is easy to spot clean and maintain
- Can be installed in a multitude of ways – from a tree, a post or directly from the ceiling
- While hanging hardware is said to be provided as part of the kit, several users complain that they do not receive it
- Only available in one color
Are you in search of a hammock swing for kids that adds an element of fantasy to their room or your backyard? For your imaginative little ones who love fairy tales, this woodland style hanging swing for kids that comes with a durable powder-coated steel stand might be perfect!
Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use and styled to have a fabric door and windows along with lights inside, you may have a tough time getting your kid out of it. Holding up to 125 lbs in weight, it is recommended that only one kid uses it at a time.
- Sturdy hammock swing
- Kid-friendly design modelled after woodland theme
- Versatile for indoor as well as outdoor use
- Comes with hanging swing and the powder-coated steel stand
- The stand’s legs may pose a tripping hazard for children
- Expensive option
Kids Indoor Hammock
This is a great option for a kids’ indoor hammock which will no doubt become your child’s favorite spot to relax, play or calm down.
Created especially for children with sensory needs, this hammock has a dual action in calming them down by combining the relaxing swinging motion with a certain degree of compression.
Allowing for a weight of up to 200 lbs and being made of 2-way stretch nylon, it’s safe to say that this hammock is resilient and absolutely kid-proof. As it comes with all the hardware needed for installation, the setup process is as simple as 1-2-3.
- Ideal indoor swing for children with sensory needs
- 2-way stretch nylon fabric that has a compressive and calming effect
- Fabric is easy to clean and maintain being machine washable
- Can support a weight of up to 200 lbs
- Can be used by children of various ages
- Slightly expensive
Kids Hanging Pod
Looking for a kids hammock pod suitable for indoor and outdoor use? These beauties are a great place for your child to get some privacy to read or relax.
Made of cotton canvas fabric, this sturdy hammock pod is going to be a kid favorite for play and relaxation. Designed to support a weight of up to 150 lbs and suitable for use for those aged 2 and above, the swinging motion will rock the kid to a state of calm while also improving their balance.
Installation is simple with all the hardware needed provided as part of the kit. It is just as easy to pack up to give it great portability. A PVC inflatable cushion is also provided.
- Versatile for both indoor and outdoor use
- Suitable for those aged 2 years and up, weighing up to 150 lbs
- Durable cotton canvas fabric with inflatable cushion provided
- Ideal for children with sensory needs
- Easy installation process with hardware provided
- Extremely cost-effective
- Available only in green color
- Fabric could make the inside of the hammock very hot during use
Kids Rocking Hammock
Does your child like Seesaw’s? If so, this slightly unconventional yet play-friendly kids rocking hammock might be the one for you!
This one-of-a-kind rocking hammock is huge and can seat two kids at a time weighing up to 300 lbs to seesaw back and forth. When not used as a seesaw, it is as good as a hammock one person can sleep comfortably in.
Made out of Teslin mesh fabric with curved yet durable steel rockers, it gives a smooth play while ensuring safety with the provision of rubber stoppers on the rockers.
- Can be used as a hammock for one or a seesaw for 2 kids
- Safe to use during playtime due to rubber stoppers provided
- Teslin mesh hammock fabric provided with steel rocker
- Supports weight of up to 300 lbs
- Great for outdoor use and resistant to all weather
- Challenging assembly process according to users
Kids Hammock Bed
On the lookout for a kids hammock bed? If you want a hammock your kids won’t get lost in, here’s one for you.
This kids’ hammock bed made of 100% organic cotton works wonderfully on your little one’s sensitive skin while also being easy to maintain and machine washable.
Knot-free set up process allowing for easy installation against most surfaces including drywall, concrete and wood. It can also support a weight of up to 175 lbs with an adequate length and width to seat or sleep two kids comfortably. This hammock bed also comes with a patented suspension kit and swivel mechanism for maximum safety.
- Organic cotton fabric is used for the hammock making it ideal for kids with sensitive skin
- Easy to wash in the machine and maintain
- Comes with a patented safety swivel and suspension kit for ensuring safety while having fun
- Slightly expensive
Kids Room Hammock
Looking for a cute kids bedroom hammock that is easy to install and fun to play in? This might just be the one, then.
Soon-to-be your kid’s new favorite spot to play, relax and rest while they also develop their balance. It is also suitable for use for children with sensory needs. Made for those aged above 3 years and boasting a weight limit of 150 lbs, the kids are going to be fighting to sit in this one.
It also comes in a whole range of colors along with the cotton canvas hammock, a carry case, a cushion which can be inflated and a hook. However, other hardware needs to be purchased separately.
- Ideal for children above 3 years of age and with sensory needs
- Can hold up to 150 lbs
- Comforting swinging motion
- Easy portability with carrying case provided
- Includes a cushion which is inflatable
- Several color options to choose from
- Unique neck-protected design
- Installation hardware needs to be purchased separately
Small macrame swings are a wonderful option for kids’ room hammocks as they’re aesthetically pleasing, oozing with boho charm and a nice spot for the kids to swing and relax. Take the magic of this swing to the next level with the sparkling battery-powered LED lights provided.
The knitted cotton fabric is durable with an ability to hold up to 230 lbs in weight and looks even better when styled with throw blankets and cozy cushions. You can install it in one of two ways based on your preference – one caters to a swinging motion while the other is for those who want a pivot style. Versatility all around with this one!
- Stylish design with knitted macrame and tassels
- Budget friendly option
- Easy installation process
- Comes with an LED light to add to the charm
- Hardware (chain or stand) not provided as part of the kit
Kids Camping Hammock
Heading outdoors with the little ones, then this kids camping hammock is a must have as part of your gear!
Made of the durable 210T parachute nylon fabric, this ensures safety, comfort and a greater resistance to the wear and tear of camping! No need to pack anything extra since this hammock comes with the tree-friendly straps and carabiners needed to suspend it. Packing into a small bag, it is portable and lightweight too.
- Extremely budget-friendly
- Durable for outdoor use as it is made of 210T parachute nylon fabric
- Easy to assemble with all hardware provided
- Portable and lightweight with carrying case provided
- Not tailored specially for kids’ use and can be used by adults too (though some may consider this an advantage)
Don’t bother heading out camping with the kids without this special kids camping hammock! What makes this stand out against the rest is that you can easily accommodate a kid and an adult peacefully. You can retire into the night with its 500 lbs weight allowance.
Toss it into your backpack – it’s just as easy to install with the tree-friendly straps and carabiners provided as it is to take down. When you’re done, pack into the portable case weighing under 1.5 lbs.
- Made of durable 210T nylon parachute fabric with a no-stretch triple stitched seam, ideal for rough outdoor use
- Tree-friendly straps and carabiners for set up provided as part of the kit
- Lightweight and portable weighing under 1.5 lbs
- Can hold a kid and an adult weighing a total of up to 500 lbs!
- Comes in a wide variety of colors to choose from
- Not tailored specially for kids’ use with ability to be used by adults too (though some may consider this an advantage)
Kids Outdoor Hammock
A cute hanging tree tent to be used as a kids outdoor hammock which costs under $100? Yes, please!
If you’re on the lookout for an ergonomically designed hammock complete with inflatable cushions and strong zippers that you can get into and curl up in alongside your kid, this may be the right pick. Keep in mind to strictly adhere to the 330 lbs weight allowance though. Adding to the magic of it all are the charming LED lights provided.
All-weather resistant 600D Oxford cloth keeps it in mint condition, come rain or shine. Being easily foldable and rather portable, you’ll be taking this along for all picnics and camping trips.
- Ergonomically designed hammock with inflatable cushion
- 600D Oxford cloth which offers all-weather resistance
- Beautiful battery-powered LED lights provided for illumination and aesthetics
- Can accommodate a child and an adult, weighing up to 330 lbs total
- Easy to install and portable in nature
- Pocket provided for easy storage within the pod
- Air circulation ensured with windows
- Not tailored specially for kids’ use as it can also be used by adults (though some may consider this an advantage)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Children’s Hammocks
Let us take a look at some of the common concerns that people have when it comes to child sized hammocks.
Question: How should I hang the kids hammock?
Answer: Most of the hammocks listed as part of the buying guide below come with clear instructions regarding installation. Some of them even come with videos. Make sure your anchor points are sturdy and able to support the weight of the hammock with your kid on it.
While setup is fairly straightforward for most of the options, do not hesitate to reach out to a professional to aid you to ensure a safe hammocking experience for your kid.
Question: How safe is a kids hammock?
Answer: A children’s hammock is designed to be safe for use even for hyperactive children, provided they are installed in the right manner. A couple of useful tips:
- Teach the child how to get into the hammock to prevent tipping over – as that is a common injury. For sleeping style hammocks, they should sit in it first before laying back into a sleeping position.
- Avoid getting woven materials that children could get their little limbs entangled in too.
- It would additionally be wise to hang your hammock over a cushioned or carpeted surface to avoid injury in the event of a mishap.
Question: How can I maintain the hammock to look as good as new?
Answer: Hammock care and maintenance is highly dependent on the material it is made of. Most materials can be machine washed on a gentle cycle and left to dry while some others can be hosed down in your backyard too!
The right way to maintain your hammock would be suggested by the manufacturer. Clean it every once in a while, to keep it looking as good as new for a long time to come.
The Wrap Up
With such a large range of kids hammocks on the market, you’re sure to be able to find one that suits your needs while making sure your children stay safe, and play safe.
Happy Hammocking with your little one!